Stevenson vs Harutyunyan Predictions: Shakur must stand out

 | Friday 5th July 2024, 12:57pm

Friday 5th July 2024, 12:57pm

boxing manchester arena

Shakur Stevenson will make the first defence of his WBC lightweight title this Saturday, July 6 against ​​Artem Harutyunyan. The world championship fight will take place at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey. Sky Sports Action will broadcast the bout.

Here are my Stevenson vs Harutyunyan predictions ahead of this lightweight battle.

Stevenson vs Harutyunyan Tips

  • Stevenson by KO @ 4/5
  • Fight to go the distance - No @ 8/11

27-year-old Stevenson is a fighter on the cusp of pound-for-pound status. He appears in such lists for the likes of CBS, ESPN and The Independent. But he is yet to crack the ratings of The Ring and the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board. 

The transient nature of Stevenson’s participation on such lists, appearing between eighth and tenth on the ones he does appear on, suggests a fighter with more to do. A three-weight world champion before he has even left his 20s, there is still a lack of huge names on his 21-0 record.

That is not to say Stevenson has not beaten some excellent fighters. Oscar Valdez, Robson Conceicao and Jamel Herring are all superb victories. But Stevenson’s record does not pop in the same way as his rivals in and around the lightweight division. 

‘Tank’ Davis can boast a knockout win over Ryan Garcia. Devin Haney beat Vasiliy Lomachenko, albeit controversially, before annexing a super lightweight belt. Lomachenko himself obviously has scores of landmark victories, most recently winning the vacant IBF belt against George Kambosos Jr. Meanwhile, Kambosos has his own huge win over Teofimo Lopez.

Nothing on Stevenson’s ledger sparkles like these victories. That is not entirely his fault. Shakur is always quick to call out his divisional rivals on social media and in the press. But the pieces have yet to fall into place for a true superfight.

Harutyunyan is a dangerous fight in its way. While beating the German will do little for Stevenson’s standing, a loss would shatter his ambitions completely. While Harutyunyan is an Olympic bronze medalist, he has not set the world alight in the pros.

The Armenian-born fighter lost a year ago to Frank Martin, the lightweight challenger recently knocked out by ‘Tank’ Davis. Harutyunyan fought just once in 2022, a points win over Humberto Gallardo. Before that came a knockout of European-level concern Samuel Molina. This is not the resume of a world championship challenger, to put it bluntly.

But that is exactly where Harutyunyan finds himself. A clear indication that Top Rank are struggling to find the right fights for Stevenson. Partly because his elusive style is a nightmare for opponents. Partly because his peers have all either gone up in weight or found alternate dance partners. 

Shakur is still only 27, but now is the time to step up before his prime ebbs away. Fighters fall into the “avoided” trope too readily. Deflecting questions as deftly as they do an opponent’s punches when asked why they are fighting unknown challengers. Stevenson has time to avoid this fate, but it starts with a major fight once his business with Harutyunyan has concluded.

800x200

Stevenson vs Harutyunyan Fight Odds

Harutyunyan unsurprisingly starts as a distant underdog. The German is 10/1 if you fancy the upset, with an implied probability of 9.1%. Stevenson’s weighty 1/33 gives him an assumed 97.1% chance of victory. A brutal chasm in a two-horse race but it does sound about right sadly. The draw is there at 33/1 or 2.9% in percentage terms. Far longer odds than usual for a fight of this magnitude.

Stevenson vs Harutyunyan Full Card

Shakur Stevenson vs Artem Harutyunyan for the WBC World Lightweight Title

O'Shaquie Foster vs Robson Conceicao for the WBC World Super Featherweight Title

Keyshawn Davis vs Miguel Madueno

William Foster III vs Eridson Garcia

Kelvin Davis vs Kevin Johnson

Abdullah Mason vs Luis Lebron

Ali Feliz vs Robinson Perez

Keith Colon vs Hunter Turbyfill

Stevenson vs Harutyunyan Prediction

No surprises here. I am of course going for Stevenson to take the victory. In order to maximise value an outcome prediction is needed, given Shakur’s status as a 1/33 favourite.

I will opt for a knockout here. Stevenson has stopped less than half of his opponents, but has grown accustomed to better opposition than this. I’m backing the Shakur knockout at 4/5.

You can find all our latest boxing betting tips and analysis at our Betfred Insights Boxing page

 

Share Article

(Visited 83 times, 1 visits today)